Major Ronald Owen Lloyd Armstrong-Jones MBE QC (18 May 1899 – 27 January 1966) was a British barrister and soldier and the father of Antony Armstrong-Jones, 1st Earl of Snowdon.
The only son of Sir Robert Armstrong-Jones, a psychiatrist, he was educated at Eton, then during the First World War was commissioned as a Second Lieutenant into the Royal Regiment of Artillery. After the war he continued his education at Magdalen College, Oxford, graduating in 1922, then became a barrister in the Inner Temple. During the Second World War he returned to the army and served as a Major in the King's Royal Rifle Corps; he was invalided out in 1945, after serving as Deputy Judge Advocate to Montgomery's staff in Normandy. A liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Clothworkers, from 1955 to 1959 he was a member of the Industrial Disputes Tribunal. He also served as a Governor of St Bartholomew's Hospital.
In 1936 Armstrong-Jones served as High Sheriff of Caernarvonshire.
Armstrong-Jones was married three times. Firstly, on 22 July 1925, to Anne Messel (8 February 1902 – July 1992); after having two children, Antony (b. 1930), the brother-in-law of Queen Elizabeth II, and Susan (c. 1932–1986) they divorced in 1934, and Anne later married the 6th Earl of Rosse. On 18 June 1936 Armstrong-Jones married secondly Carol Akhurst; they divorced in 1959, and Carol was killed in a car crash in 1966. He married thirdly Jenifer Unite on 11 February 1960 and they had one son, Peregrine Armstrong-Jones (born 1960). Jenifer Unite, an air hostess, was the daughter of Basil Unite, a major fruit importer. Antony Armstrong-Jones attended his father's last wedding.
The Worshipful Company of Clothworkers was incorporated by Royal Charter in 1528, formed by the amalgamation of its two predecessor companies, the Fullers (incorporated 1480) and the Shearmen (incorporated 1508). It succeeded to the position of the Shearmen's Company and thus ranks twelfth in the order of precedence of Livery Companies of the City of London.
The original craft of the Clothworkers was the finishing of woven woollen cloth: fulling it to mat the fibres and remove the grease, drying it on tenter frames (from which derives the expression 'to be on tenterhooks'), raising the nap with teasels (Dipsacus) and shearing it to a uniform finish. The Ordinances of The Clothworkers' Company, first issued in 1532 and signed by Sir Thomas More, sought to regulate clothworking, to maintain standards and to protect approved practices.
From the later Middle Ages, cloth production gradually moved away from London, a situation exacerbated by the Great Fire of London and the Industrial Revolution of the 18th and 19th centuries. The charitable role of the Clothworkers' company nevertheless continued, supported by generous gifts of money and property by members and benefactors.
Nowadays, the company's main role is in the charitable sphere, through the Clothworkers' Foundation, an independent charity. Through its grants, the Foundation seeks to improve the quality of life, particularly for people and communities that face disadvantage.
Both the company and the foundation operate from Clothworkers' Hall, in Dunster Court, between Mincing Lane and Mark Lane in the City of London. The site was conveyed to a group of Shearmen in 1456 and the present building, completed in 1958, is the sixth on the site. Its immediate predecessor, designed by Samuel Angell and opened in 1860, was destroyed in 1941.
Famous Clothworkers included King James I, Samuel Pepys, Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha, Baroness Burdett-Coutts, George Peabody, Sydney Waterlow, Edward VII, Lord Kelvin, Viscount Slim, Robert Menzies and the Duke of Kent.
Posted by てんこもり野郎 at 6:13